I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Friday, March 12, 2004

A Good Day

I have heard a couple concerns from the wilderness that I seem a little down in the dumps and homesick. Well, maybe so, but fret not! Every once in a while a day comes along that keeps you going and today, baby, was one of those days. It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops mind you, and the day started out pretty grim.

Immediately after arriving at the office, I was called into the director's office for a meeting. It seems that some parents had witnessed one of my classes on our closed circuit video system the previous day and were worried that I don't play enough games or keep the class interesting enough. Duly noted... I will play more games until the next parent voices their opinion that I play too many and that their child is here to study, not play. Whatever. Did I let all this hub-bub get me down? Not a chance.

When my classes finally started later that afternoon and I was embracing for the worst (it's Friday), I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the time my students enjoy making a lot of screaming noises and mocking me, pretty much anything to weasel their way out of learning English. Today, however, my students were focused, fun, and most importantly, quiet. I got through my lessons without a hitch, and we had fun in the process. To make things better, I ordered the complete third season of The Simpsons and it arrived today. Definitely a good day.

Don't worry, my friends, I am making my way in the world today. I am giving it all I got. I often take breaks from all my worries. And soon, I will be getting away (Darryl and Arla and Thailand), although I doubt everybody will know my name down there.

Tickled,
Joe

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel." -- Homer Simpson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home