I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Monday, February 23, 2004

Itaewon

What do you do when you have only seen two foreigners in your area of Seoul in 3 1/2 months? Get out of your area. One of the most difficult parts about living in this country for me is the lack of good conversation. I have ached for it. Sure Carrie and I have each other, but, well.... Come ahhhhhhnnnnnn. We both need a little variety in the chit chat department. So, on Saturday night we went to the foreigner part of town, Itaewon. (That word "foreigner", I can't get used to it. Everytime I am called that I feel like I don't belong here, but that is a whole other entry.)

The first time I went there, I hated it. It was like a little pocket of all the worst America had to offer: fast food restaurants, huge clothing, buzz cuts, and in-your-face consumerism. This time was much different. Carrie and I went to a pub where we were a majority! I stopped to listen and could only hear the sweet caress of English on my ears, and for a moment, I was home. It was very therapeutic. We even got to speak English. I mean English English.... not a broken form containing "do... you... un-der-stand?" and innumerable hand gestures. Ahhh relief. I feel like I am ready to get on with things now. I guess the first step to solving a problem is always the hardest.

And in the words of Bart Simpson, "I can't promise I'll try, but I'll try to try."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home