I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Superlavating

Where do you go to wet your whistle in my little corner of Seoul? Well, the Happy Liquor Pia of course. Where else? I would love to say that place names like this are infrequent and misleading of the Koreans' grasp of the English language, but I would be lying through my teeth, and you don't want me to lie, do you? Yes, the concepts of subtlety and understatement are completely lost here. For example, why name your bar something classy or eloquent when you can have a name that is as descriptive as "Happy Liquor Pia"? Think about it. When I am walking by this place I immediately know that I can buy liquor at this place. And obviously liquor makes people happy. Now the "Pia", well that just plain sounds good. You may ask yourself, "why didn't I think of a name like that?" Well, you would not be alone.

The Happy Liquor Pia serves Molson Canadian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home