I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Children, and what for?

Why on Earth do people have children? Sure there are a few out there that are cute and smart and generally good, but most are ugly little rascals. They never listen to what you say; they cry all the time; and they're smelly. If having kids could be compared to a crapshoot, the odds are just as good and the stakes are much higher. I couldn't imagine having a child and being stuck with one of these hellions.

Like always, I am overreacting. I like some of the kids, but most of them are a pain in the butt. If I did ever decide to teach for a living, I would make sure I went to a school for the gifted. These regular kids learn so slowly and I just don't have the patience. Well, maybe it's me. I don't think I am any good at teaching these kids. So here's what I propose (which is not new).

Every person in the world should have to teach for 6 months. Then they would understand what it is like to live as a teacher. Moreover, they should have to go back for re-teaching every 5 years or so, just to remind them what it is like. I'm no expert, but it doesn't take long to figure out how intolerable children are when you are trying to teach them something. Teachers should be duly compensated. Since money is not an option, how about teacher's day? (There is one in Korea, so I stole that idea too.) As a matter of fact, very few ideas in this piece are my own.

"Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car."- Anon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home