I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Korea: the Downside

Wasn't it some guy who said, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Well the yin to my last post's yang (or is it the other way around?) comes What I Don't Like About Korea*.


  1. Most of the people. This may come off as harsh, but I dislike most people in Canada too. There are so many people everywhere that are rude, smelly, and uninteresting to talk to. The difference in Korea is that I don't understand them. I wish people would just tell me what they are thinking for heaven's sake instead of making me decipher some encryption every time. Just spill it! And the agonizing social situations I have had to endure! Korean torture should be having to watch two people meet each other for the first time. They have no idea what to do. They don't know if they are older or younger, richer or poorer, so usually just resort to awkward silences.
  2. The Smelly Streets. If I wrote with emoticons I think I would use the vomit one (is there one?) There is nothing more romantic than walking down the street with your date and inhaling other people's fecal matter. If you are going to cut corners on urban infrastructure, why not do it with the buildings... oh wait...
  3. Construction. If you cut every corner while constructing a building, what would you be left with? Nothing, right? Actually the answer is the building I live and work in. The term 'construction' must not translate well because here when they 'construct' something it goes like this. First, you make sure to do a really slow, drawn out project months behind schedule (I know that is universal). Second, you move people into the building before it is finished ensuring many sleepless nights. Third, you spend the next year repairing all the mistakes you made guaranteeing continued cash flow. Fourth, don't forget to forget the fire escape. Last, make sure to do a shitty all-around job so that you can repeat all the steps in 10 years. Ah yes, and please, don't use sewer traps in the drains. They are a waste of 2 dollars and people don't mind smelly houses.
  4. Construction 2: It's a busy country, I understand that, but why do I have to suffer jackhammers at 3 a.m?
  5. Loudspeakers: No, I do not want any of the following: oranges, eels, books, hot peppers, apples, cabbages, socks, crabs, Jesus: especially at 7:30 in the morning.

I think the conclusion one could reach here is that I am a big complainer. I make no excuses.

*Notice I didn't use the word hate. I save that word for things I really hate like eating tripe, children, and Korean Radio.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home