I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Miss Korea? It Could Happen!

So, I was thinking the other day, that there is the possibility that I would miss Korea. I know, I know, sounds far fetched right, but I think it could happen. There are a lot of good things about Korea that I wish Canada would adopt.

1. Small drink sizes. I know that we love things bigger and better and love to save $.06 on a litre of coke when we buy eight, but I want the option for a smaller size. Does anyone really need to drink 2 litres of Mountain Dew at a single sitting? I don't think so. I don't even need 500ml. Give me 200ml please.

2. Beer on the Street. Why do I have to feel like a criminal if I sit in a park and have a beer? I want to go to the corner store and buy a beer, then sit outside and drink it. No harm done.

3. No Tipping. Great service, no tip. I love it. There is no arbitrary etiquette on tipping. You don't tip anyone ever. It's not that I am cheap (even though I am); it's the principle. We have designated some jobs tip-worthy and others not. For example, "Thanks for opening my beer bottle. Here's a dollar. What?! That's not enough!?" Or conversely, "thanks for changing my tire on this deserted road, get bent!" I get good service here from humble workers that are happy to have a job, even in the food industry.

4. Affordable Dinners. I can treat for dinner here! I went out with six friends for dinner. It was a Korean barbeque. We were all stuffed and had beer and soju: cost me just over $30.

5. Banana Milk. Maybe this is in Canada, I don't know. It is the most delicious drink in the world. Bar none.

6. Ice Cream. There are so many ice cream bars here, that I have scarcely scratched the surface. They are delicious and cost about 25-35 cents. Don't try the sweet potato or red bean ones though.

That is a short list, however, there are more intangible qualities to Korea that I love. This is not to say that Korea is flawless. Stay tuned for the things I won't miss.

3 Comments:

Blogger roobarb! said...

Got to agree here - a few of those things are possible here in the UK, although it really depends on where you are!

1. Small drink sizes - not a problem. ;o)
2. Beer on the Street - becoming less possible, as some places have designated 'no alcohol zones' now, but we used to pop to the park in the sunshine with friends & beers... :o)
3. No tipping. Yeah, I don't understand that whole US / Canada tipping thing - especially in bars! A dollar, just to open a bottle?! Pass it over closed, and I'll open the damn thing myself! I often tip in restaurants if the service has been particularly good, but it really is just a gratuity - not expected - although I get the worrying feeling there may be a trend starting...
4. Chuffin' heck - that's cheap! Think I'll be off to Korea... ;o)
5. Banana milk - had some a little while ago - v tasty!
6. Red bean ice cream...? :op

Oh, actually on number 3, maybe you pay for it with your ears...?

4:41 p.m.

 
Blogger Joe said...

Kye Won - I am glad you enjoy the site. I am usually worried if Koreans see my site, they will think I don't like Korea! I hope everyone sees past my ramblings about the bad things and notices that I like Korea a lot! That is what this post is about I guess.

5:44 p.m.

 
Blogger Joe said...

Andy - Great feedback. I will have to check out the UK, but I am afraid I may not be able to afford it! I thought Oslo was expensive until my friend told me about London. Crikey!

5:47 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home