I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Friday, September 17, 2004

Singing Room

The Noraebang is an experience that may not be uniquely Korean, but is definitely pure Korean. The singing room is just that: a place you go with friends and sing. It is not Karaoke since you have a private room, but it is the same idea. It is a real hoot, but like no man is an island, no singing room is either.

Singing out of tune is alright when only a few people are exposed to it. It is alright when you use it in moderation, and keep a certain disdain for it. However, in Korea the Noraebang culture has seeped through the cracks and crevices of the rooms where it was once confined and made its way to the radio. Oh lord, have mercy on my soul, and my ears! The radio plays everywhere from the pubs to the grocery stores (where music is blared when they are not screaming today's sales at you). It invades my brain with tone-deaf screeches and wails to an aggravating climax. I grab my milk and eggs and run for the door before the next freshly-cut-fingernail-caught-in-wool song begins.

And I am safe again until I get a craving for a beer.

2 Comments:

Blogger roobarb! said...

You mean they play karaoke recordings in pubs?! It's madness! And I thought UK radio was getting worse for music... ;o)

Great weblog, BTW - great to hear tales from the other side of the world!

6:39 p.m.

 
Blogger Joe said...

It's true. It's terrible. It's a travesty. I kid you not on this post and neither do I exaggerate. It's a painful experience I won't soon forget.

6:54 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home