I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

The Big Update

Every once in a while, I should probably give an update about how things are actually going. Since I am against mass emails to every remote acquaintance of mine, I will give an update here.
I have about two months left to go in Korea, and I will be heading back to Canada. Things have gone so great here and the past few months have been nothing short of magical. We kicked off summer with a visit from Nick and Lynn and it couldn't have gone better. It was a real thrill to show them around the city and give them a feel for Korea. Of course, it was much too short, but still a great time.

After that visit, we eagerly awaited out vacation time and a visit from Carrie's parents. It was so tremendous to have them here and had such a great time. It was only to be topped by our time in Thailand which was such a welcome getaway. I fell in love with the place and promised myself to travel back there. The people were so kind and the pace of life was so refreshing.

Now the summer is winding down, and we are getting ready to come home. Things aren't as tikkity boo at work and it is difficult fitting in here. Carrie and I are the only foreign teachers at the school, and without a big contingent, we feel left out of a lot. However, we manage and have a good working relationship with the director and his wife. Anyways, I won't bore you further with that.

Faced with many prospects of things to do when I get back (some less favourable than others *cough* unemployment *cough*) I have had a tough time deciding. Some people may have heard my rumblings about going to South America. Although that is still in the plan, I am eager to get in some Canada time and will delay that trip for a year or so. I still call Victoria home, but Victoria is for the elderly, the students and the tourists. I had a difficult (impossible) time finding work there last year, and figure it is time to pay my dues elsewhere.

So, I am moving to Calgary in the new year. But before that happens I will be spending a couple months on the island getting things ready to go. I am really looking forward to a Christmas in Canada (hopefully skiing) and some down time with some family and friends.

I hope whoever reads this is in good health and spirit. I send my best to you all and hope to see you all soon.

Joe

"Two are better than one;
because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow:
but woe unto him that is alone when he falleth;
for he hath not another to help him up."
-- The Bible: Ecclesiastes 4:9-10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home