I am teaching English in Korea for a year, and these are my experiences and adventures. Korea is a great country and I love it. Here's what it has offered me!

Monday, May 31, 2004

The Value of a Dime

Korea is a country that is changing rapidly. Hell, a couple of years ago it was unacceptable for a woman to bare her shoulders. Unfortunately, along with progress come higher prices. The cost of living in Korea is similar to that of Canada overall (if you take out such vice products such as alcohol and cigarettes). The sky is the limit here if you have a lot of money; there is always a place to spend it. However, the value of a dime has not been lost here, especially with the children.

Not too long ago, I was attempting (in vain) to teach my students the concept of money, so I decided to take out the real thing: one genuine 100 won piece (worth about 10 cents). I was completely surprised to find my students rushing towards me like I was Justin Timberlake (he is still popular, right?). "Teacher, give me!" I responded with, "I think you must be mistaken, my dear children. This is not a 500W piece, this is only worth 100." By the way, 500W is the cost of an ice cream here. They did not, however, relent after my declaration, but still came forth.

So I asked them why they wanted it so badly. They told me that 100W is the cost of one video game at the arcade. I swiftly explained that I could not be so cruel as to give one of them the 100W and not give to the others since I had not brought enough for everyone. Enlightened, I went to the nearest arcade shortly after class and played a video game. I invited them all to come watch, but they looked insulted. Kids!

Pong lives,
Joe

"Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy." - Homer Simpson

1 Comments:

Blogger Shavonne said...

It's great to see a non-Asian face blogging from Korea. I take it you're an English teacher. I can tell by your hair you're not a soldier. I like it.

9:18 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home